Imagine a watery disaster zone in your home, extensive damage caused and lots of headaches. This can easily be the result of a burst pipe. Prevention is obviously the best course of actions but of course unexpected emergencies are still a possibility. If a pipe ever bursts in your home, we’d love to guide you through some of the essential steps you should take to avoid as much of that headache as possible.
- Shut Off the Main Water Supply: As soon as you discover a burst pipe, you should immediately turn off the water supply to your home. Be prepared now and know where the main water shut-off valve is so you’re not searching for it in the event of an emergency. Once you reach the valve, turn it clockwise until it is fully closed. This will prevent further water from flooding into your home and causing more damage.
- Ensure Electrical Safety Next: Water and electricity are a very dangerous combination. If the burst pipe is anywhere near electrical appliances or outlets, shut off the electricity to that area of your home immediately. This will reduce the risk of electrical shocks and potential fire hazards.
- Identify the Source of the Burst Pipe: The next step is to try to quickly identify the source of the burst. You’ll want to look for visible cracks, holes, or bulging in the pipes. This will help you provide valuable information to the plumbing professionals if you end up needing assistance.
- Drain Faucets and Relieve Pressure: Once you’ve identified where the issue originated, you should open all of the faucets in your home to drain the remaining water from the pipes. This will also relieve pressure, helping to reduce the risk of additional bursts and allowing plumbers to work more effectively once they arrive. You should also flush the toilets to drain water from the tank and bowl.
- Call a Plumber: Time is truly of the essence when dealing with a water emergency. It’s best to call a professional plumbing service immediately to schedule an emergency repair. They are equipped with the knowledge and tools necessary to correctly assess the situation, provide a quick solution, and prevent further damage to your home.
Experiencing a burst pipe can surely be overwhelming, but knowing what actions to take and how to respond promptly can make a huge difference in minimizing any damage. By following this guide, you can take control of the situation and protect your home. Remember, when it comes to burst pipes though, time is of the essence, so don’t hesitate to reach out to FloHawks Plumbing + Septic for emergency assistance. Our experienced team is here to help you navigate some of the toughest plumbing issues!